Sunday 1 May 2011

South African writer wins internationally sought-after prize for Sci-fi

To my great surprise, I found out yesterday that South African writer, Lauren Beukes, won the prestigious Arther C Clarke prize for Science Fiction on 27 April. Coming completely from the left field and competing against established international names like Tim Powers, Ian MacDonald and Patrick Ness, her book, Zoo City was declared the "clear winner".

While it's not only heartening that South African authors are receiving international recognition and all that, what I found most wonderful about this turn of events is that it introduced me to Lauren Beukes and her work.

Before yesterday, I had never even heard of her, which I'll admit is something to be ashamed of. However, as soon as I heard the news and read a review of the book, I simply had to procure Zoo City and am currently greatly enjoying it.

Many congrats, Lauren, and I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment