Title: Dead Rules
Author: Randy Russel
Series: Book 1 of Dead Rules (?)
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Age restriction? Maybe 10+. Some of the descriptions are pretty gruesome.
Published: 21 June 2011
Recommended for: Teens and those who like teen fiction of the more macabre kind.
Buy: Dead Rules @ Amazon
DESCRIPTION (via Goodreads): Jana Webster and Michael Haynes were in love. They were destined to be together forever. But Jana's destiny was fatally flawed. And now she's in Dead School, where Mars Dreamcote lurks in the back of the classroom, with his beguiling blue eyes, mysterious smile, and irresistibly warm touch. (more...)
REVIEW: Reading Dead Rules, I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. Although the book has some major flaws, mostly in terms of consistency and plotting, I had a great time reading it.Liked:
- Fun, quirky and above all, unusual story, which is great to find in YA UF.
- Funny and addictive writing.
- Great characters and compelling, fresh story.
- So much whining! Yes, it was unfair. No, killing your boyfriend won't make it better. Sheesh.
- Jana is so dependent! Seriously icks me out when a character defines themselves by their relationship status.
- PLOT HOLES the size of JUPITER all around.
- Too much left unexplained.
- Too open ending, unless this was the first book in a series. Which I hope is the case.
- Lots of showing in exposition - could've been handled better.